Monday, November 24, 2014

Craft Adhesives: The Basics

From the experience and insight of those at "Lemon Jitters: Get Crafty" magazine is some fantastic information for the papercrafting beginner; however, I am not familiar with some of these products in this informational piece:
_________________________________________________________________________________

Craft Adhesives: The Basics

Adhesives may be the most important crafting tool/supply you need. Cutting tools actually might come in a smidge behind adhesives in importance. Simply because you can glue things together without every cutting anything and make a masterpiece. Okay, this list is my idea of the basic types of adhesives. I know everyone won't agree...It is what it is... At the end of each section I will offer my own personal (& often very critical) input on the product in red bold letters.


1. E6000 Multi-Purpose Adhesive: GET THIS. Seriously, it is amazing. It glues all kinds of things together but is not too difficult to use. Although you might have to cut your tube open at some point - it's difficult to keep the top from clogging. I use this a lot for gluing metal or plastic or small wood pieces. If you want to make jewelry, this is your best friend. Once dry, the bond can be broken but believe me - it's not easy. I don't know boo about this product and I'm pretty comfortable with that, as it doesn't appear to be used in any type of craft that I do - based on 15-seconds of research I did, the E6000 Multi-Purpose Adhesive has received fantastic reviews, feel free to read some customers reviews on Amazon for more information.

2. Aleene's Original Tacky Glue: Lots of people like this glue. Tacky glue is good for fabrics. Like felt, cotton, putting sequins on fabric, etc. I've never been a huge fan of tacky glue. Some people swear by it, but I have found that between E600 and a glue gun, I'm covered. But then again, I don't do a whole lot of fabric crafting...I've worked with this product quite minimally, but much like the author of this article I don't have a strong background in fabric crafting... To me it wasn't any better or worse than Elmer's School Glue, but please don't base decisions about this product from my opinion.

3. Gorilla Glue: This is good for wood, metal, foam, glass, ceramics...all of those heavy materials. And it is very, very strong. However, it does not dry clear and expands a bit as it dries, so be careful. I had never heard of this product but seems to be used for home improvement projects and industrial uses rather than crafting. Also it is said not to dry clear which is generally a serious issue for most crafters.

*4. Scotch Advanced Tape Glider or Xyron Tape Runner: Tape runners are so amazing. The are so easy and clean to use. Good for paper projects. I know a ton of people are in love with their Scotch ATG. I use Xyron runners and they are great. Plus, Xyron makes this small size which is awesome because the ATG is pretty big. Although I don't use these particular brands, the tape runner is by far my "go-to" adhesive when working on any project. It is so easy to use, without the mess of traditional liquid glue, is relatively cost-effective (the initial tape runner is about $3 and refill packages with two cartriges are about $2.50 at your local Wal-Mart store). Also it doesn't require any type of drying time, either. Refills for the Elmer's Craft Bond Runner is something I ALWAYS keep stockpiled (both the tape runner and the dot runner are fantastic).

*5. Mod Podge Matte or Mod Podge Gloss: Mod Podge is a must-have. It's an adhesive and a sealant. Which is fantastic. After you get Mod Podge, you'll wonder how you lived without it. I suggest having matte and gloss around, you will use both, depending on the project. Mod Podge is good for collaging, with paper and even with fabric to hard surfaces (i.e. collaging fabric onto an art canvas). I literally use mod podge gloss for something on every one of my project, but not typically for adhesive purpose...I'm positively in love with mod podge's new formula, "super-gloss" for the brilliant apoxy-looking finish it leaves, but it is only intended as a sealant and requires the regular gloss or matte podge for adhesion for decoupaging... This company is A++ in my book!!

*6. Mini Glue Gun: Glue guns are handy because they are easy to use, adhere to fabric and are only semi-permanent. A glue gun is simply a must have tool, that I use to adhere anything that wont tack down with my runner or Quick-Dry Glue Pen (from Elmer's Craft Bond Line).

7. Glue Dots: So easy to use. Similar concept to the tape runners, only in smaller sizes instead of a continuous piece of tape. Good for paper projects. All I can say is YUCK!!! These little boogers are a pain in the backside...They really are nothing more than a hassle that I manage to get stuck to EVERYTHING...No thank you!!!

8. Elmer's No-Wrinkle Rubber Cement: yeah! You know you love sniffing this stuff. And if you don't, please don't judge those who do - this is a safe space, you guys. ;) Ok, but for real - this is toxic smelling. So be careful when using it. It's good for school projects and paper crafts. It has a fairly strong hold but it's not crazy permanent. I haven't used rubber cement much in my crafting endeavors. I have always managed to find something more effective for my projects. As well a good friend of mine told me of a tragic crafting accident in which this goop caused her paper to wrinkle as she was finishing up, which just turned me off altogether.
Yes, I left two obvious adhesives out: glue sticks and super glue. Here's why.
Glue sticks are terrible. Only use them if you are crafting with children. That should explain why they aren't a great adhesive - if you have craft with children, you need something that is not permanent and is washable. Glue sticks are the spawn of satan, I tell ya, the spawn of Lucifer himself. The few times I've used them it causes my paper to buckle and wrinkle which just doesn't work for me!!
Super glue is too permanent and messy. You will stick your fingers together and create a crafting catastrophe. It's just not necessary to use instant glue like that. My only memories of needing super glue are in the 90s - if a plastic piece of a stereo or VCR broke off. It's 2012...we've moved on. I've never used super glue for any of my project because it simply isn't applicable. It definitely has it's purpose, but putting together gorgeous Prima flowers or making a scrapbook layout is definitely not it. Lets stick with adhesives that are meant for our crafting to avoid any catastrophic papercraftinging accidents, which may lead to a break-down of some sort.

Oh! And Scotch gift-wrap tape is always nice to have around. This is a practical office supply to keep around for the most random uses...You never know when you may need it...
Original Source: http://www.lemonjitters.com/2012/02/craft-adhesives-basics.html

Happy Scrapping!!! xxLexy